Skip to main content

April 1, 1918 - Don Martin makes day trip near front, but no action

Don Martin diary entry for Monday, April 1, 1918:
Went to Menil la Tour and Ansauville with [Edwin] James [New York Times]. Visited several interesting spots en route and passed miles and miles of Americans, some moving from the big battle front and some to relieve others. Was within couple miles of the front, but saw no excitement as action temporarily is all on the big front. Information is a bit more encouraging. 
(National Archives photo no. 111-SC-10353, Menil-la-Tour, April 1, 1918)
Got back to Neufchateau at 5:30. Wrote two stories for Paris and N.Y. Got letter from Dorothy. Says one of her wisdom teeth has been pulled but she says not a word whether it hurt. Had dinner with Junius Wood [Chicago Daily News], George Patullo [Saturday Evening Post], Lincoln Eyre [New York World] and Sam Johnson.
Weather miserable – rainy but not cold.
  Don Martin cabled a second report of his interview with Secretary Baker, complementing his article published in the New York Herald on March 31. This was published on Monday, April 1, 1918.In it, he trumpets the Paris Herald's success with the American forces.
BAKER TELLS CONFIDANT ALLIES WILL WIN BATTLE
Army’s Joy at Getting Into Conflict Increases His Optimism
By DON MARTIN
[Special Despatch to the Herald via Commercial Cable Company’s System]
AMERICAN FRONT in France, Sunday (delayed)
     Newton D. Baker, America’s Secretary of War, is not at all alarmed by the situation resulting from the German drive. He became even more confidant when he saw the joy with which officers and men of the American army received the news that they were to join the French and British in the great battle.
     Mr. Baker had just finished a long conference, with General Pershing in the library of a chateau where the American staff makes its headquarters, when he saw me. He had commended General Pershing for offering the support of the American forces to General Foch and was very much pleased.
Anxious to Return to America
     The Secretary is anxious to return to Washington to make quickly available the information he has gathered. He said he had been accorded exceptional opportunities to see the war situation in all its phases, and it is quite proper to state that he is confident of the outcome.
     After the Germans began their drive, Mr. Baker was along the British front and saw the refugees streaming away from villages taken by the enemy.
     At a point where his automobile stopped for a railroad crossing he saw in an ambulance two nurses whom he took to be Americans.
     “I told them I felt it almost my duty to speak to American women in such circumstances,” said Mr. Baker.
     “Well, we’re not Americans; we’re English, but it amounts to the same thing,” they replied.
     The Secretary added that he constantly met the same spirit along the front.
The Herald Carries First News
     The first information the American soldiers had that they were to be used in the gigantic conflict raging north and east of Paris was contained in the European edition of the New York HERALD, and when bundles of that newspaper reached the various American camps there was a tremendous demand for them by officers and men.
     The troops broke into cheers, joined hands and danced around like children. They wanted nothing more. The only disappointment will be among those troops that are not sent into the battle with the French and British.

     It has not been announced to them just what they are to do, but it is known that they will play a much more important role than hitherto. It is probable that those American troops that have had months of intensive training at the front will be employed in the battle, and it is certain they will welcome the opportunity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘New war with Israel at any moment’, ‘still digging through rubble’

The news about Iran has taken an ominous tone in the last couple days. Here is some reporting and commentary.  Newsweek on August 18, 2025, reported that Yahya Rahim Safavi, senior military adviser to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, said ‘ We are not in a ceasefire; we are in a stage of war. No protocol, regulation, or agreement has been written between us and the U.S. or Israel. A new war with Israel could break out at any moment .’  Yonah Jeremy Bob commented in The Jerusalem Post on August 19, 2025, that ‘ Khamenei can either “drink from the poisoned chalice” of diplomatic concessions … or face more airstrikes, possibly next time some targeting him directly ’.   Bob also noted that ‘ right now Iran is still digging through rubbl e’. The U.S. attacked Fordow, Natanz and Esfahan on June 22. Two months of digging. No surprise that there has been no public news about that.

Assessing possible outcomes of the snapback mechanism

The initiation by the E3 of the 30-day snapback mechanism in the UN Security Council makes everything more difficult and there is great uncertainty about the outcome. Will it be peaceful with a new nuclear deal with Iran, negotiated by the U.S., endorsed by the UNSC and verified by IAEA, or will Iran withdraw from NPT with further military action by Israel and the U.S.?                 To perhaps shed a little light on what the outcome will be, here is my analysis of how the players - Iran, U.S. and E3 - may be assessing the acceptability of the range of outcomes. Four levels of acceptability were used: 1 Fully acceptable; 2 Less acceptable; 3 Just acceptable; and 4 Not acceptable. Four near term 30-day outcomes are listed, and two optimistic outcomes with an interim U.S.-Iran agreement reached within a 6-month extension.                 For the 30-day near term, the best outcome would b...

‘Making nuclear fuel’ under the NPT

It is with some hesitation that I take issue with the latest publication of the renowned Henry Sokolski and Sharon Squassoni on August 15 in the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, titled: “ Actually, the NPT doesn’t guarantee a right to make nuclear fuel .”  But someone should defend the IAEA and international safeguards! Here are points in question.            ‘ The [NPT] treaty was designed to prevent dangerous bombmaking activitie s.’  NPT is far more complex than that. It is common to state the three pillars of NPT: nuclear disarmament; nuclear nonproliferation; and peaceful uses of nuclear technology. Nonproliferation involves the commitment of non-nuclear states not to pursue nuclear weapons and to accept IAEA inspection to confirm that commitment is being followed. Perhaps Sokolsky intends to refer to INFCIRC/153, which lays out how IAEA and the state cooperate to carry out that confirmation. If so, INFCIRC/153 is not designed to ‘prevent’...