Skip to main content

February 2, 1918 - Submarine Menace Waning

Don Martin diary entry for Saturday, February 2, 1918: 
Spent all the afternoon in the office. Arthur Elliot Sproul of N.Y. came in and told me all about Russia. He left there 2 weeks ago. Had dinner at Simpson’s with some Canadians. Met a captain who told us about battles of Vimy and Lens; also a young private, who is now a lieutenant who is going back home with his right arm useless. Went to office for a short time in evening and returned early to the hotel. Got Herald of Jan 18 which contained the first of my stories. It was signed.

Weather damp, foggy + streets muddy.
      Don Martin wrote and cabled a dispatch on that wet Saturday about improvements in countering the submarine menace, and about the state of the Western war front. It was published in New York Herald on Sunday, February 3, 1918.
AIR AND SUBMARINE ACTION TO ATTEND BIG GERMAN DRIVE
American Front Established in West and Italians Closing Gate to Plains
[Special to the Herald]
Herald Bureau, No. 130 Fleet Street, London, Saturday
     With the echo in one’s ear of bursting bombs and anti-aircraft gunfire in the most death dealing raid since last June, it is easy to ascribe undue prominence to aerial warfare in the expected German drive. Nevertheless, taken in connection with the raid on Paris and the previous attacks on Dunkirk and Calais, the conclusion has been reached here that these assaults by air indicate the main direction the offensive will take.
     While the fliers spy out the way toward Calais and Paris, submarines are expected to crowd the Channel and French coast, preventing the arrival of British reinforcements and of American troops further south. In this, however, the Germans are doomed to disappointment, for notwithstanding the increased sinkings last week the monthly total has been decreasing ever since last April.
Submarine Menace Waning
     The power of the submarines is certainly waning, though occasionally it may flare up into some unusual burst of frightfulness.  It is credibly reported here that at least fifteen more German submarines are destroyed every month than the Huns are constructing. The figures are thirty-seven or thirty-eight captured or sunk monthly, while it is estimated that only twenty-two are being built.
     One of the foremost German naval critics, Captain Persius himself, has no illusions on this score. In an annual review of the naval warfare in the Berliner Tageblatt he pictures the future as gloomy, accounting for the failure of the allied navies to attack the U-boat bases in force by the fact that the submarines do not endanger allied shipping enough to make desperate measures necessary. On the other hand, aerial attacks on these bases are becoming more frequent, especially on Zeebrugge.
America to the Front
     Secretary Baker’s statement that 1,500,000 Americans will be sent to France this year in addition to the considerable force there now, and the Man Power bill before [British] Parliament, which is expected to raise 450,000 men, are likely to fully offset whatever troops Germany can bring from Russia to the Western front, which, according to military authorities here, will raise the German strength to nearly three millions.
     The “American front” now appears to be definitely established, and one may speak of it more freely without encountering the wrath of the censor. Occupying part of the French line hitherto rather quiet, it is expected that it will hereafter become a special objective for German raids. Since that of last Wednesday, however, there has been only one feeble intimation of attack reported, fog enveloping the whole sector.
     American aviators have taken part in bombing attacks during the week behind enemy lines in connection with French expeditions; and the French also bombarded airdromes from which the raiders that attacked Paris were said to have flown. The British were more active still, dropping bombs on Roulers, Menin and other places behind the front and bringing down several German machines.
Italian Successes
     Italy’s northern front was the scene of the chief military movements this week, the Italians gaining an important success west of the Brenta River and effectually closing another gate through which the Austrians hoped to reach the Venetian Plain. 
     The extreme advance of the Italians is marked by the head of the Melago Valley. The net result is a small salient pointed northwest up the Frenzela Valley. The success has greatly encouraged the Italian army and, indeed, the whole nation, troops from all sections, even Sardinia, participating in the attack, which caused enormous losses to the Austrians.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘New war with Israel at any moment’, ‘still digging through rubble’

The news about Iran has taken an ominous tone in the last couple days. Here is some reporting and commentary.  Newsweek on August 18, 2025, reported that Yahya Rahim Safavi, senior military adviser to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, said ‘ We are not in a ceasefire; we are in a stage of war. No protocol, regulation, or agreement has been written between us and the U.S. or Israel. A new war with Israel could break out at any moment .’  Yonah Jeremy Bob commented in The Jerusalem Post on August 19, 2025, that ‘ Khamenei can either “drink from the poisoned chalice” of diplomatic concessions … or face more airstrikes, possibly next time some targeting him directly ’.   Bob also noted that ‘ right now Iran is still digging through rubbl e’. The U.S. attacked Fordow, Natanz and Esfahan on June 22. Two months of digging. No surprise that there has been no public news about that.

Assessing possible outcomes of the snapback mechanism

The initiation by the E3 of the 30-day snapback mechanism in the UN Security Council makes everything more difficult and there is great uncertainty about the outcome. Will it be peaceful with a new nuclear deal with Iran, negotiated by the U.S., endorsed by the UNSC and verified by IAEA, or will Iran withdraw from NPT with further military action by Israel and the U.S.?                 To perhaps shed a little light on what the outcome will be, here is my analysis of how the players - Iran, U.S. and E3 - may be assessing the acceptability of the range of outcomes. Four levels of acceptability were used: 1 Fully acceptable; 2 Less acceptable; 3 Just acceptable; and 4 Not acceptable. Four near term 30-day outcomes are listed, and two optimistic outcomes with an interim U.S.-Iran agreement reached within a 6-month extension.                 For the 30-day near term, the best outcome would b...

‘Making nuclear fuel’ under the NPT

It is with some hesitation that I take issue with the latest publication of the renowned Henry Sokolski and Sharon Squassoni on August 15 in the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, titled: “ Actually, the NPT doesn’t guarantee a right to make nuclear fuel .”  But someone should defend the IAEA and international safeguards! Here are points in question.            ‘ The [NPT] treaty was designed to prevent dangerous bombmaking activitie s.’  NPT is far more complex than that. It is common to state the three pillars of NPT: nuclear disarmament; nuclear nonproliferation; and peaceful uses of nuclear technology. Nonproliferation involves the commitment of non-nuclear states not to pursue nuclear weapons and to accept IAEA inspection to confirm that commitment is being followed. Perhaps Sokolsky intends to refer to INFCIRC/153, which lays out how IAEA and the state cooperate to carry out that confirmation. If so, INFCIRC/153 is not designed to ‘prevent’...