Skip to main content

Don Martin going to Europe? October-November 1917

     Facing the prospect of leaving New York and crossing the Atlantic for England, Don Martin began to record the dangers in his diary
Don Martin diary entry for Friday, October 19, 1917: 
American transport Antilles, on way back from France, sunk in mid-ocean by German submarine – 70 dead. 
Don Martin diary entry for Saturday, October 20, 1917: German raiders sunk 9 British, Danish and Norwegian merchant ships and 2 British torpedo boats. The world is beginning to wonder what’s the matter with the British navy.
         While Don Martin was engrossed in the straw vote for the New York City Mayor election, the uncertainty of whether he would go or not weighed on his mind.
Don Martin diary entry for Sunday, October 21, 1917: 
John Burke asked me when I’m going to Europe. The more I think of it the more I hate to get so far away from [my daughter] Dorothy. Although I don’t see a great deal of her, I realize how much she means to me. It’s a rather different feeling than I’ve ever had before except for her Mother.
Don Martin diary entry for Monday, October 22, 1917: 
Cooper says I am surely slated for Europe.
Don Martin diary entry for Tuesday, October 23, 1917: 
Early this morning – about 2 am. – I had a talk with Flaherty, general manager, who said he thinks it unwise of Bennett to take me away from N.Y. He says he has advised the editors here that its foolish to send me to London. So maybe I won’t go at all. Doesn’t make much difference. I shan’t give it any thought at all till I hear definitely one way or the other. 
       Meanwhile, changes were brewing at the New York Herald.
Don Martin diary entry for Wednesday, October 24, 1917: Flaherty told me he thinks there will be a big editorial change in the paper and that he hopes they will keep the “good men here”, meaning me, he says. Probably nothing will come of the European matter after all. Probably I’m glad. I’m glad I have not mentioned it at home anyhow. The office here is running along on one leg or less.
              As November came, and Don Martin was completing the straw vote for the hotly contested New York City mayoral election, he continued to get mixed messages about his going to London.
Don Martin diary entry for Thursday, November 1, 1917: 
Ohl says he has heard nothing yet from Bennett about “me and London.” Cooper tells me to get my passports. I have a suspicion I’ll not go at all but it makes no difference to me.
Don Martin diary entry for Sunday, November 4, 1917: 
Cooper told me today to get my passports to be prepared for orders to go to Europe. However I am doing nothing. I have a strong “hunch” that I’ll stay right here.
        In the Sunday edition of November 4, 1917, the Herald published a patriotic poem by Minna Irving. In October 1918 Minna Irving would publish her poem "Soldier of the Pen" in honor of Don Martin's death.
The Service Flag
MINNA IRVING 
November 4, 1917

It hangs below the Stars and Stripes  
     A banner bright and new.   
Red-bordered with a field of white    
     And star of deepest blue.   
However humble is the home            
     O’er which its colors wave,
It glorifies it with the light                 
     That shines upon the brave.

For where that new-born emblem flies
     A man had buckled on         
The sword in Freedom’s sacred cause,
     And from the house has gone
  To face the trinity of death                     
     In lead and steel and gas;     
So when you see the service flag.        
      Salute it as you pass.               
          
          The Herald “Straw Man” vote was published on Sunday, November 4, but with many political currents flowing in the New York City mayoral election, the following was published in the Herald on Monday, Nov 5.
               The Herald ordinarily closes its straw polls on the Friday evening preceding election. That is necessary in order that the mathematicians may have time for their calculations. With the currents changing, according to the party leaders, and the big blows being struck during the last few days, the Herald Straw Man decided to keep going right up to the finish in the hope that, if a tremendous new drift to Mayor Mitchel had been started, he, the Straw Man, would discover it. The results of his vote presented herewith show that there is a tide running in the Mayor’s direction, but how strong it had become over Sunday and how powerful it will become between now and tomorrow can only be guessed at. The Herald presents the figures for what they are worth.
        The final Herald Straw Vote showed Judge Hylan 46%, Mayor Mitchel 25%, Mr. Hillquit 20% and Mr. Bennett 9%. The election took place on Tuesday November 6 and the results were: Hylan 46.3%, Mitchel 23.4%, Hillquit 22.0% and Bennett 8.3%.  The “Straw Man,” Don Martin, was very right once again. With this success under his belt, Don Martin started to turn to the possibility of going to London to take over the Herald’s London office.
Don Martin diary entry for Wednesday, November 7, 1917: About everyone I know called up or came in today to congratulate me on the Straw Man’s accurate prophecy. I spoke to Daley about going home for a few days and he said to take a week off but first to leave order for passport so there would be no delay when word came from Bennett to go to Europe. Don’t know just what to think but suspect no word will come from Bennett. Whether it does or not I will spend a week with Dorothy.
Don Martin diary entry for Thursday, November 8, 1917: 
Went to the passport office with Voute of the Telegram and made application for France and England. Had photos made by Henry of our photograph dept. Had to use 4 for passport applications. Office hasn’t heard definitely from Bennett that I am to go to Europe but Daley, Ohl and Cooper thought I better get passports so as to be ready. Funny office! I shall go to Silver Creek tomorrow or Saturday to have a rest and to wait definite news about London. Am anxious to see Dorothy.
         Don Martin took off for his home in Silver Creek, New York, near Buffalo, to see his daughter, Mother and other folks.
Don Martin diary entry for Friday, November 9, 1917: 
Began a holiday of a week. May get a telegram from office about the London correspondence matter but don’t bank much on it.
Don Martin diary entry for Tuesday, November 13, 1917: 
Have heard nothing more about going to Europe. Hardly think I shall.
Don Martin diary entry for Friday, November 16, 1917: 
Got a letter from the office asking me to go around the state getting up a big story on the political effect of the woman suffrage amendment. No word about London. Guess that is off.
Don Martin diary entry for Thursday, November 22, 1917: Stayed in Albany. No word yet about the European matter. Guess that’s all over.
         Returning to the Herald office in New York, he found there had been major management changes, and that his assignment to London had seemed to solidify.
Don Martin diary entry for Friday, November 23, 1917: 
George Cooper now managing editor of the Herald says I am to go to Europe as soon as word comes from the Commodore. I don’t take any stock in this.
        But then Don Martin was sent off to Albany to handle the copying of the names of all German aliens in New York City for publishing in the Herald, which he described several times as “quite a job.” While in Albany, his assignment to London finally did solidify.
Don Martin diary entry for Wednesday, November 28, 1917: Well it looks as if I might go to Europe after all. Got a wire from Cooper this afternoon saying Bennett had cabled asking when I could come. Cooper said I could go on the St. Paul of the American line on Saturday, December 8th. So it looks as if everything is fixed now. I am wondering now how I can arrange to see Dorothy, Mother and the rest of the folks before I start. I certainly shall see them. 

Don Martin diary entry for Thursday, November 29, 1917: 
Got a telegram from Cooper saying the Commodore cabled for me to go to London. Said reservation had been made for me on the St. Paul of the American Line. Looks as if I am going at last but I’ll have major doubts till I’m on the ship. Will go home for a day or two anyhow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 14, 1918: Don Martin’s funeral service in Paris

        A funeral service for Don Martin was held in Paris on Sunday, October 13, 1918, at the American Church, rue de Berri. The New York Herald published this report on Monday, October 14, 1918. MANY FRIENDS AT CHURCH SERVICE FOR DON MARTIN Simplicity and Sincerity of Character of “Herald” Writer, Theme of Dr. Goodrich’s Sermon                     Funeral services for Don Martin were held yesterday afternoon in the American Church in the rue de Berri. They were simple and impressive. Before the pulpit rested the coffin, over which was spread the American flag. Floral offerings were arranged around it. Flat against the wall behind the pulpit were two American flags and the tricolor, and on either side were standards of these two emblems. Uniforms of the United States army predominated in the gathering of 200 persons composed of friends Mr. Martin had known for years at home and friends he had made in France. The depth and beauty of character which drew these old and new

Welcome to Don Martin blog on Armistice Centennial Day

Welcome to the World War I Centennial Don Martin daily blog, on Armistice Centennial day, November 11, 2018. Don Martin was a noted war correspondent reporting on the American Expeditionary Forces in France in 1918. Regrettably he died of Spanish influenza in Paris on October 7,1918, while covering the Argonne Forest offensive. He missed the joy of the Armistice by a month. Beginning on December 7, 2017, this blog has chronicled each day what Don Martin wrote one hundred years earlier – in his diary, in his letters home, and in his multitude of dispatches published in the Herald newspaper, both the New York and the European (Paris) editions. The blog, for the several days following his death, recounts the many tributes published, his funeral in Paris and his trip back to his final resting place at his home in Silver Creek, New York. To access the daily blogs, click on the three red lines at top right, then in the fold-down menu, click on Archive. There are 316 blogs from D

October 17, 2018: Final Salute to Don Martin, Soldier of the Pen

          We have reached the end of the Don Martin World War I centennial memorial blog. Starting on December 7, 2017, this daily blog has chronicled, in 315 postings, the remarkable story of my grandfather’s contribution to the Great War.               This blog was possible because of the availability of my grandfather Don Martin’s diaries and his letters to my mother, and his published writings in the New York and Paris Herald.             We have followed him from leading political reporter of the New York Herald at the end of 1917, to head of its London office in January-March 1918, and then to France as accredited war correspondent covering the American Expeditionary Forces, based first in Neufchateau, then in Meaux, Nancy and finally for a few days in Bar le Duc. And then, his final return to his hometown in Silver Creek, New York. Don Martin has given us a full and insightful, if grim, picture of the Great War, as witnessed by the American war correspondents. We have seen