Skip to main content

Don Martin going to Europe? August-October 1917

     For Don Martin, there was a start-stop story of leaving for Europe that was nerve-racking and seemingly never-ending. He wrote a lot about it in his 1917 Diary, with the first mention on August 26, 1917, at the time he was getting engaged in overseeing the Herald’s electoral poll for the 1917 mayoralty race in New York City. By mid-October it seemed pretty certain that he would go to Europe after the November election.
Don Martin diary entries
Sunday, August 26, 1917: Took 4:51 train from Albany to N.Y. On way in office met Ohl, Editor-in-Chief, who wanted to know if I would consent to go to London as chief correspondent there. Told him I would if the office would take care of all my financial obligations and gives me enough to live well on in London. Ohl said he would cable Bennett in Paris. I doubt if the old man will be willing to give me enough to make the place possible. I should be glad to go.
Thursday. August 30, 1917: Guess nothing will come of the London offer. Saw Ohl at dinner and he didn’t mention it. I didn’t either. Not so anxious to be separated from [my daughter] Dorothy. Furthermore Herald probably wouldn’t pay what I demand. 
Sunday, September 2, 1917: Week has passed and I have heard nothing about the London offer. Guess nothing will come of it. Don’t suppose Bennett wants to spend as much as I insist on having.
Sunday, October 7, 1917: Ohl got cable from Bennett asking when I could go to London. They want me to go but the office wants me here until after the [November] election. I just [as] soon go to London if the office will send $40 to $50 a week home and give me enough to live on in addition. I can’t save anything anyhow so maybe this would be a good arrangement. 
Tuesday, October 9. 1917: Ohl said Bennett cabled for me to stay here till after election. From this the office infers I am to go to London right after election. I am willing. Hate to be separated in that way from Dorothy. However, I probably won’t be away a great while, if, in fact, at all.
Daley says he doesn’t like the London business because he wants me here. However, he says, if Bennett will send me to the front, it will be worthwhile for me and Herald both.
And here I am! With a possible chance to be a war correspondent and have an experience as a newspaperman abroad! Once, such a thing would have caused great excitement in me but now not much. I haven’t lost my romantic interest but I don’t exactly care so much about going so far away from Dorothy.

Sunday, October 14, 1917 Had quite a talk with George Cooper. He says Commodore Bennett has his mind made up for me to go to Europe, but that he wants me to finish up the Mayoralty campaign. However I shan’t say anything about it till I get definitive word. Don’t imagine Dorothy will like it but she is a philosopher. I won’t go unless I can spend a week or so with her first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 14, 1918: Don Martin’s funeral service in Paris

        A funeral service for Don Martin was held in Paris on Sunday, October 13, 1918, at the American Church, rue de Berri. The New York Herald published this report on Monday, October 14, 1918. MANY FRIENDS AT CHURCH SERVICE FOR DON MARTIN Simplicity and Sincerity of Character of “Herald” Writer, Theme of Dr. Goodrich’s Sermon                     Funeral services for Don Martin were held yesterday afternoon in the American Church in the rue de Berri. They were simple and impressive. Before the pulpit rested the coffin, over which was spread the American flag. Floral offerings were arranged around it. Flat against the wall behind the pulpit were two American flags and the tricolor, and on either side were standards of these two emblems. Uniforms of the United States army predominated in the gathering of 200 persons composed of friends Mr. Martin had known for years at home and friends he had made in France. The depth and beauty of character which drew these old and new

Welcome to Don Martin blog on Armistice Centennial Day

Welcome to the World War I Centennial Don Martin daily blog, on Armistice Centennial day, November 11, 2018. Don Martin was a noted war correspondent reporting on the American Expeditionary Forces in France in 1918. Regrettably he died of Spanish influenza in Paris on October 7,1918, while covering the Argonne Forest offensive. He missed the joy of the Armistice by a month. Beginning on December 7, 2017, this blog has chronicled each day what Don Martin wrote one hundred years earlier – in his diary, in his letters home, and in his multitude of dispatches published in the Herald newspaper, both the New York and the European (Paris) editions. The blog, for the several days following his death, recounts the many tributes published, his funeral in Paris and his trip back to his final resting place at his home in Silver Creek, New York. To access the daily blogs, click on the three red lines at top right, then in the fold-down menu, click on Archive. There are 316 blogs from D

October 17, 2018: Final Salute to Don Martin, Soldier of the Pen

          We have reached the end of the Don Martin World War I centennial memorial blog. Starting on December 7, 2017, this daily blog has chronicled, in 315 postings, the remarkable story of my grandfather’s contribution to the Great War.               This blog was possible because of the availability of my grandfather Don Martin’s diaries and his letters to my mother, and his published writings in the New York and Paris Herald.             We have followed him from leading political reporter of the New York Herald at the end of 1917, to head of its London office in January-March 1918, and then to France as accredited war correspondent covering the American Expeditionary Forces, based first in Neufchateau, then in Meaux, Nancy and finally for a few days in Bar le Duc. And then, his final return to his hometown in Silver Creek, New York. Don Martin has given us a full and insightful, if grim, picture of the Great War, as witnessed by the American war correspondents. We have seen