Skip to main content

July 8, 1918: Don Martin tells airman Lieutenant Harwood's exciting story

Don Martin diary entry for Monday, July 8, 1918
Went to second division. Very little going on. Got story in La Ferte, corps headquarters, of a document prepared by a German general praising the American soldier (this for circulation among Germans only) and returned to Meaux early in the afternoon. Sent 600 word cable to New York.
          Don Martin wrote a letter dated July 8 to his daughter Dorothy that reflected his mood at this point in the war: a little uncertainty about his relationship with the Herald:
            I have heard nothing from the office yet and don’t know whether they want me to stay or return. I daresay they want me to stay. I am not so particular about it myself. I have seen a great deal now and the work certainly is no cinch. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if I stayed until it is over,
            the desire of a newspaperman to get the best story:
            I don’t know what will happen during the next month. No one does. I know that the Germans are capable of striking a terrible blow... I am trying to keep in touch with developments so I can be close to the big drive and write about such Americans as are involved in it,
            and telling one of his stories,  not very appropriate for an eleven year old girl:
           ... a story is told of an American who met two Germans in No Man’s Land and prepared to fight them. They immediately shouted “Kamerade,” which is the coward’s cry. The American said: “Kamerade nothing, I came here to fight, not to engage in conversation.” He didn’t bring back any prisoners so you can imagine what happened... the motto of the average American is... “We kill or be killed.”  That’s the only way to carry on a war. War these days is no afternoon tea. It is a game of murder and slaughter. That is the way the Americans intend to play it.

                  In one lengthy dispatch dated July 8, published in the New York Herald on Tuesday, July 9, Don Martin reported on the French tribute to the American soldiers at Hill 204, and on the hair-raising story of airman Lieutenant Benjamin P. Harwood.
AMERICANS ARE BEST SOLDIERS IN EUROPE, SAYS FRENCH GENERAL AFTER THE FIGHTING AT HILL 204
Grit, Courage and Eagerness to Learn in Face of Danger Amazes Poilus
BROOKLYN AIRMAN BAGS TWO BOCHES
Montana Flyer Christened “Horseshoe Kid”
After Remarkable Escape in Sky Combat
By Don Martin
Special Correspondent of the Herald with the American Armies in France
 [Special Cable to the Herald]
WITH THE AMERICAN ARMIES IN FRANCE, Monday [July 8]
               The American forces, fighting in the French region of Hill 204 in the vicinity of Vaux, where they had their baptism of fire and earned new laurels, likewise have won the highest praise for their bravery and efficiency in the fighting last Saturday and Sunday [July 6-7]. I am now permitted to say that they fought on the same spot on July 1, and so signally did they distinguish themselves that they won the formal commendation of the French commanding officer for the assistance they offered the French and American units well back of the line.
               “It is safe to say that the Americans are the best soldiers in Europe,” a French general with whom I talked told me.
               Before the attack of July 1 to which I referred the French asked for volunteers and all our officers and men to whom the chance to get in the fighting was offered stepped forward. A certain number of them were picked, and they went into the fighting like veterans. I can say that the French were amazed at the courage and grit which they showed.
Officer Bayonets Three Germans
               Especial reference was made to the extraordinary performance of an American lieutenant, who, it was asserted, bayonetted three Germans while they were operating a machine gun against our men. These Germans had planted their gun in a tree, that it might have a more deadly effect on our forces. The gun was spurting out a stream of death when this American officer, with the agility of a cat, leaped into the branches of the tree and killed the machine gun operators, who were covered in such a way that a bullet would not reach them.
               In the fight in which he met them, single handedly, he was wounded in the arm and for the time incapacitated. He went to a dressing station and had his wound attended to, but as soon as this was done he returned to his company to finish the fight.
              This is a sample of the pluck and the grit of these youngsters who are members of the great army which is expected to crush the Hun by next autumn or spring.
Americans Eager to Learn
               A notable feature of fighting is shown in their eagerness to gain experience, even in the face of desperate danger.
               The French and the British are now looking forward to a fresh German offensive, which is expected to begin soon. That the enemy has been preparing for a giant stroke is well known here. He has forty divisions ready for action, which means six hundred thousand men. This is a formidable force, but the French are prepared for it.
               The spot where the attack was made was Hill No. 204, which had been partly taken by the Germans by the employment of their storm troops and which the enemy was determined to hold.
               In the fighting the Germans lost many dead and prisoners, but not a single American fell into the enemy’s hands.
Aroused French Enthusiasm
               I am now able to publish a tribute which the French commander paid to these Americans who on July 1 fought side by side here with the French.
             “From the beginning of the attack the American detachments displayed marked ardor, bravery and enthusiasm, despite the firing of the enemy’s heavy and light machine guns, trench mortars and riflemen in the trees,” he said. “The Americans bravely threw themselves on their adversaries in fierce hand to hand contests in an almost impregnable wood, where each sought out his man in personal combat that was violent.
            “Your men never ceased during the operations to arouse the enthusiasm and admiration of their French comrades by their magnificent behavior.
            “Lieutenant Shenkel especially distinguished himself and made a great impression on his own troops and our own. He led them on with his own ardor, and when, with seven men, he found himself surrounded by an enemy detachment he and his comrades cut their way through by using the butts of their rifles and their bayonets. In this way did they succeed in rejoining their comrades.
            “Lieutenant Shenkel used his pistol with such good effect that he killed a German officer.
            “I would appreciate it if you would bring to the attention of your regiment the splendid conduct of your men while they were fighting with us for the first time. Let every one know that with such admirable soldiers as yours the defeat of the Germans in the near future is assured.”
Three Americans Capture 38
             In the same fight Lieutenant Cedric Benz, Sergeant Hoffman and Private Samuel Smith captured thirty-eight prisoners.
               These Americans are splendid soldiers and their work on this occasion was a good augury for the conduct of all our men, all who saw them said.
               Many of our men are like young colts—keen to get into the conflict. The only danger is that they, like the Australians and the Canadians at the beginning of the war, are too venturesome, but this danger is minimized by the work of their instructors and officers.
               There has been a remarkable change in everyone in France since gallant exploits of the Americans were first published. It is no secret now when I say that both the French and the English were dubious of the ability of the Americans to grasp the problems of the war or the ability of our soldiers to hold their own against the Germans.  This doubt now had disappeared and the word generally is: --“They have won their spurs.”
Expect Offensive Soon
               The French poilus, who are slow to express an opinion and who looked doubtingly on the Americans at first, now salute them with admiration.
               The Americans are completing their training course gradually, all of which is changing the situation on the western front. In a short time the Allies will be superior to the enemy in numbers, while the German morale will be lowered and the attack spirit of the Hun weakened. To-day the German forces are not equal to the vicious assault they made last March.
               One of the most thrilling narratives of aerial warfare ever told relates to Lieutenant Benjamin P. Harwood, an American aviator, whose home is in Butte, Mont. Flying four thousand meters in the air, he was attacked by an overwhelming number of Boche flyers, and only by the remarkable manoeuvring of his pilot, F. L. Luhr, coupled with his own daring and cool judgment, is he alive to-day and safe.
               As a result of Lieutenant Harwood’s adventure in the sky his companions have nicknamed him the “Horseshoe Kid.” After his encounter with the enemy airmen he landed inside the American lines with thirty bullets in his machine, its tank pierced, guns jammed, motor set smashed, his eyeglasses shot off, his chin nicked by a bullet and his throat grazed by another.
Tells of His Lucky Escape
               Lieutenant Harwood, a powerful, cool and daring observer, flies daily over the enemy lines. I am able to tell his story in his own words.
               “I was flying at an altitude of four thousand meters when I saw a group of Germans above me,” he said. “They paid no attention to me; but for this simple reason, if for no other, I at once suspected an old German trick.
               “With my back to the sun I looked again and saw the enemy straight in the path of my guns. They were coming directly toward me. That is the German trick that I referred to. Luhr and I saw the situation at a glance, and it was just the situation that I wanted.
               “At once I got my machine gun going and fired ten rounds at them, when my gun jammed. All the time the Germans were trying to get on my tail, and they passed within a hundred meters of me a dozen times, meanwhile pouring a rain of bullets in my direction.
Bullet Grazes His Throat
               “The bullets fell everywhere. Only Luhr escaped them, which was very fortunate. One of them struck me on the chin; another went through the seat of my airplane. They constantly spattered against my tank and struck my engine. Then a bullet grazed my throat just over my windpipe. Here is the mark; it was a pretty close shave.
               “The next thing I knew a bullet struck my eyeglasses and shaved off a few eyebrows. By that time both my chin and my eye were bleeding.
               “Luhr, who exhibited the greatest nerve I ever saw, kept things going absolutely smoothly. He veered our course and attempted to dodge their fire, which he was successful in doing because of the German tracer bullets.
               “While I was standing and trying to fix my gun three bullets ripped my coat and one passed through my hat. It was strange, but not a one of them touched Luhr.
               “Finally I got my gun in working order and opened up again at the Hun with it. Steadily, however, they pursued us, and then my gun jammed again.
               “We were going at a terrific speed, but constantly descending. The German demon kept right after us, as if determined to get us after all. But I guess he finally decided that our machine was charmed, for he at last turned back. That, however, seemed to be a signal that our troubles were just beginning, for our motor was barely working at all and our tank was leaking badly. Why we did not catch on fire is something that I will never understand.
               “I was bleeding and Luhr asked me if I was hurt seriously. I replied that probably I was not. Then after some bantering talk and jokes we plunged downward and Luhr succeeded in effecting a landing. He could not make the field he wanted to reach, but lit in a wheat field, where our machine somersaulted and was wrecked. It was too bad, for she was the greatest machine that was ever in the air.”
               “Did you expect to ever come down alive?” I asked him.
               “Sure,” he replied. “I never worried for a minute. I knew that the bullets were thick, but, too, I was busy. I had full confidence that as long as our heads worked we were safe, and I wanted to get that Boche.
Says He Will Get Boche
                 “Some day I will get him. Some day I will drop a note in their lines and call his attention to the fact that we fooled him. And we’ll get him.”
                 Lieutenant Harwood told his story modestly. When he had finished, his comrades, who were listening, slapped him on the back and said: -“Beanie, you are the horseshoe kid. You had one chance in a billion and won.”
                Lieutenant Harwood’s injuries are so slight that he is working as usual and is eager to get his eye on the Boche who pursued him to the American line. He told me that he will be sure to recognize him if he meets him again, for in his latest combat he had a chance to observe the enemy at close range.
               In another combat in the air, in which five Americans met five enemy aviators of the rejuvenated Richthofen “tango circus,” Lieutenant James A. Meissner, of Brooklyn, is believed to have brought down two Boches. That he brought down at least one has been verified. If he downed two he is an ace, for he already had four to his credit.
               With the increased air activity along the line, the work of our aviators in the American sectors is showing a corresponding increase.
               Lieutenant Sedgwick, of St. Paul, Minn., has just had a hair-raising adventure in an observation balloon of great weight, when a German airplane attacked him. The enemy sent a bullet through the basket from which Lieutenant Sedgwick was conducting his observations a hundred feet in the air. He landed safely with the aid of a parachute which observers always take aloft with them.
             Don Martin wrote a shorter version of the Lt. Harwood adventure, which was published in the Paris Herald on July 9. It is interesting to see the minor differences in Lt. Harwood’s 'first-hand' telling of his story.
Amex Fliers Safe After 
Weathering Shower of Shot
Machine, Half Wrecked After Desperate Mid-Air Battle,
Turns Somersault on Landing
(Special Telegram to the Paris Herald)
By Don Martin,
With The American Army, Monday [July 8].
                 It was a thousand-to-one shot that Lieutenant Benjamin P. Harwood and Pilot F. L. Luhr would be killed the other day when a German aeroplane attacked them as their machine was over the German lines making observations. Yet they are alive and reasonably well. Lieutenant Harwood has a slight wound over his right eye, a tiny groove in his chin and a bruise over his windpipe. Mr. Luhr has no injury at all. Two bullets went through the lieutenant’s hat, three through his sleeves and more than thirty struck his aeroplane, one piercing the gasoline tank, another striking the engine and one badly crippling a wing. The machine somersaulted when it landed in a wheat field.
               Lieutenant Harwood was at work as usual the next day. So was his pilot.
              The men were well over the German lines when five German aeroplanes were seen to the north, flying low. They were apparently indifferent to the presence of the American observation machine. However, the Americans were familiar with German air trickery, and glancing back they saw a lone aeroplane making in their direction. It was in the sun’s path and hard to distinguish. So far everything was as expected. The five were flying low to divert attention from the attacking aeroplane, which was to shoot suddenly out of the blazing path behind the American machine. I will let Lieutenant Harwood tell the rest of the story.
              “The German tried to get on my tail, but was unable to do so because Luhr did some remarkable maneuvering. The Hun passed pretty close several times, blazing away all the time with his machine-gun. Bullets struck the fuselage several times. I played my machine-gun on him, but the thing jammed and affairs looked a little bad for us. A bullet clipped my chin. Then one hit the engine. Another went through the seat on which I was sitting. They struck all over. Several went through my clothes and one grazed my throat.
              “I stood up and was trying to fix the gun when a bullet knocked my glasses away shaving off a bit of my eyebrow. It didn’t hurt. Meantime I was working at the gun, but it was difficult because blood blinded me. Luhr all the time was circling in such a way that I am sure he saved us from complete ruin. We were in constant communication through the speaking tube. He wanted to know if I was badly hurt. I told him I was not.
              “The German kept after us, but turned for a minute or two when I got the gun fixed and shot back at him. But the gun jammed on me again and it looked as everything was up. However, Luhr, with the engine going bad and the tank leaking, managed to evade the German and land. We couldn’t land exactly where we wanted to, but we made a wheat field nearby. The machine turned bottom side up, but we escaped. It was a shame to have the machine wrecked, because it certainly is a wonder. I don’t think another machine on earth could do what that one did.”
               Lieutenant Harwood is a Harvard man. He comes from Butte, Mont., where he is engaged in peace times in the banking and ranching business.

               “I want that Hun to know that he didn’t get us,” he said. “Some day we will get him. I think I could recognize him if I saw him again. He was close enough certainly.”
        Lieutenant Benjamin P Harwood served in the 12th Aero Squadron. Here is a photo of the plane that the squadron flew in France.
12th Aero Squadron November 1918 with Salmson 2A2 plane
(Wikiwand)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 14, 1918: Don Martin’s funeral service in Paris

        A funeral service for Don Martin was held in Paris on Sunday, October 13, 1918, at the American Church, rue de Berri. The New York Herald published this report on Monday, October 14, 1918. MANY FRIENDS AT CHURCH SERVICE FOR DON MARTIN Simplicity and Sincerity of Character of “Herald” Writer, Theme of Dr. Goodrich’s Sermon                     Funeral services for Don Martin were held yesterday afternoon in the American Church in the rue de Berri. They were simple and impressive. Before the pulpit rested the coffin, over which was spread the American flag. Floral offerings were arranged around it. Flat against the wall behind the pulpit were two American flags and the tricolor, and on either side were standards of these two emblems. Uniforms of the United States army predominated in the gathering of 200 persons composed of friends Mr. Martin had known for years at home and friends he had made in France. The depth and beauty of character which drew these old and new

Welcome to Don Martin blog on Armistice Centennial Day

Welcome to the World War I Centennial Don Martin daily blog, on Armistice Centennial day, November 11, 2018. Don Martin was a noted war correspondent reporting on the American Expeditionary Forces in France in 1918. Regrettably he died of Spanish influenza in Paris on October 7,1918, while covering the Argonne Forest offensive. He missed the joy of the Armistice by a month. Beginning on December 7, 2017, this blog has chronicled each day what Don Martin wrote one hundred years earlier – in his diary, in his letters home, and in his multitude of dispatches published in the Herald newspaper, both the New York and the European (Paris) editions. The blog, for the several days following his death, recounts the many tributes published, his funeral in Paris and his trip back to his final resting place at his home in Silver Creek, New York. To access the daily blogs, click on the three red lines at top right, then in the fold-down menu, click on Archive. There are 316 blogs from D

October 17, 2018: Final Salute to Don Martin, Soldier of the Pen

          We have reached the end of the Don Martin World War I centennial memorial blog. Starting on December 7, 2017, this daily blog has chronicled, in 315 postings, the remarkable story of my grandfather’s contribution to the Great War.               This blog was possible because of the availability of my grandfather Don Martin’s diaries and his letters to my mother, and his published writings in the New York and Paris Herald.             We have followed him from leading political reporter of the New York Herald at the end of 1917, to head of its London office in January-March 1918, and then to France as accredited war correspondent covering the American Expeditionary Forces, based first in Neufchateau, then in Meaux, Nancy and finally for a few days in Bar le Duc. And then, his final return to his hometown in Silver Creek, New York. Don Martin has given us a full and insightful, if grim, picture of the Great War, as witnessed by the American war correspondents. We have seen